Something about Puerto Rico makes me feel confidently beautiful…
Maybe it’s the language, maybe it’s the music, maybe it’s the entire culture.
The first Miss Universe competition I remember seeing was in 2006, the year Miss Puerto Rico Zuleyka Rivera won the crown. I was inspired by her beauty and self confidence. I believe it’s essential to feel confident in swim wear, and who better to celebrate this with than local Puerto Rican designer Alexandra Escudero, the creative mind behind swimwear line Bienteveo en el Mar.
- Alexandra, what inspired you to create Bienteveo en el Mar?
Living in a tropical island beachwear is always a must, yet we didn’t have many options. I wanted to create modern and sophisticated key items with hand crafted details for women to feel comfortable and beautiful. We use original design prints and linings made out of ‘smart materials’, sea weed, and vitamin E, offering our customers skin protection.
- Is there a particular woman you are designing for?
We embrace every type of body, at any age. I am family oriented, which guided me to different needs for different generations.
- Where do your inspirations come from when designing a collection?
Puerto Rico is a unique destination, its stunning beaches and tropical weather are always my inspiration while designing. I enjoy living the Caribbean lifestyle.
- Being from Puerto Rico, what is your personal beach style?
Very casual and feminine.
- What are your must-have items in your beach bag?
- Prymal Fedora
- Suncare products such as Coola (love organics!)
- Pair of trendy Vogue sunglasses
- Smart water
- and Prossecco.
- What advice would you give women when shopping for swimwear?
To have fun, try something different and be confident, there is no better way to try a swimsuit.
- Can you give us any hints on your Spring/Summer 2016 collection?
Our spring summer collection will feature solids, color blocking and more macramé.
I happened to walk into the Bienteveo en el Mar shop on opening day and immediately fell in love with an emerald green trikini – it was the perfect wearable piece of Puerto Rico to take home with me. Locally designed and locally created. I love supporting local stores while traveling.
I especially adore one-pieces, but finding the perfect one can be tricky.
I feel it’s all about maintaining balance with proportions. Too much material can make us feel dowdy, but there is a fine line between a swim suit and lingerie.
Avoid: skimpy and stringy one-pieces as they can easily begin to look less like a swim suit.
Say yes to: fabrics that are clearly designed for swimsuits – I love Bienteveo en el Mar’s ‘smart’ fabric that helps with sun protection.
When searching for a one-piece, I’ve found the most flattering shapes to be:
- high cut sides with a scoop front (Solid & Striped: here)
- a plunging v-neck with a cheeky bottom (Mikoh Hinano One-Pieces: here and here)
- a halter top with an open back (Marysia Swim: here and here)
I also keep an eye open for fun prints and pops of interesting details like gold hardware, braided straps, or beading. (Blue Life Mirage Halter One-Piece: here, and Mara Hoffman Reversible One-Piece: here and here)
In the end, it is what makes you feel most beautiful!
Having fun, loving your body, and feeling confident are the most important accessories a girl can ever wear.
Con mucho amor,
Details // Bienteveo En El Mar Trikini
Photographer: Abnel Gonzalez